Missing kayaker's vessel believed to be found in East Providence; Truck fire damages home

East Providence Fire, Police Department personnel assist in retrieval; Diesel pickup catches accidentally

EastBayRI.com ·

EAST PROVIDENCE — East Providence Fire Department personnel retrieved a kayak Sunday morning, Jan. 14, in the Providence River off the shore at Kettle Point believed to be the one owned by a Warwick man missing for two days.

Michael Perry, 46, was reported missing by his wife Friday afternoon, Jan. 12. She told authorities her husband had gone kayaking at Conimicut Point in Warwick earlier in the day and had not returned. Coast Guard led a search of the area throughout the rest of the day and into Saturday, Jan. 13, before calling it off. It was believed Perry could not had survived the freezing air and water conditions.

Alerted by members of the East Providence Police Department, EPFD firefighters were assisted by members of the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management in gathering the kayak from the water at approximately 11 a.m. Sunday.

According to EPFD Chief Oscar Elmasian, the response was to an overturned kayak. EPFD Engines 1 and 4, Ladder 1, Marine 3 boat and Zodiak 2, a smaller inflatable pontoon vessel, were on scene to lead the recovery.

In addition, from late last week, EPFD crews responded to a truck fire at a residence in the center of the city in the early morning hours of Friday, Jan. 12. No one was injured in the brief blaze.

According to Chief Elmasian, personnel received the call at about 1:30 a.m. Friday. Upon arrival to the Bloomfield Street home, firefighters found a pick-up truck ablaze. The truck, the chief said, was in close proximity to the garage and home. The fire caused damage not only to the truck, but also to the interior and exterior of the house and garage, though it remained habitable.

The deisel-powered truck was plugged into a socket because of the cold temperatures, which is believed to have started the fire, Chief Elmasian added. He said the owner heard a “pop,” saw flames then called the department. The official ruling termed the fire “accidental electrical,” the chief said.


No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here